Arisia again this year is calling for original science fiction or fantasy works of fiction for its annual Student Writing Contest!
- Entries are free. Writers retain all rights to their works — we only wish to encourage, celebrate, and recognize talented young writers throughout the Northeastern US.
- Entries must be original works of fiction by students or young adults currently enrolled in high school, or equivalent, between 13 and 18 years of age. No college students, please.
- Entries must be 1000 to 3000 words long.
- Please, no fan fiction; all entries must use original characters and settings.
- Entries must meet the submission format guidelines below.
Deadline for submission: December 1.
- Double-spaced, 12 point font.
- In the upper left corner, put your real name, your email address or a teacher’s email address, your school and teacher's name, and an approximate word count.
- Submissions should be made in doc, odf, or pdf formats.
- Entries must be submitted via email to @email with the subject line:
ENTRY FOR STUDENT WRITING CONTEST.
For more information, please e-mail us at @email.
Winners will be contacted via email on or before January 1. Prizes will be awarded to exceptional stories, including cash prizes and free memberships to attend the Arisia convention. The school attended by our first-prize winner will receive a matching prize. Prizes will be awarded at our annual Arisia convention on Sunday evening during the Arisia Masquerade.
The contest is sponsored by Arisia, Inc., a 501(c)3 non-profit, volunteer-run organization whose purpose is to promote science fiction and fantasy. The Arisia convention, held in Boston MA each year over MLK day weekend, is a celebration of all things sci-fi, fantasy, and related. You can find out more at http://www.arisia.org
High School students, or young adults between the ages of 14 and 18, who have never been enrolled in college, and are currently residing in the New England area (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT) are eligible.
Prizes will include cash, memberships to future Arisia conventions, and the option to have the story published on the Arisia website. All winning stories may be published in perpetuity online at Arisia.org, provided the author and their guardian give consent. Authors retain their copyright, and we will remove the stories at any time requested.
Stories may be about anything that can be clearly labeled within the science fiction or fantasy genres, and must be between 1,000 - 3000 words. Stories must be complete - no excerpts or chapters from longer works.
Please keep your story appropriate to show to other high school students (so, approximately PG-13 is a safe bet). We are looking for original prose stories, so please no fan-fiction or poetry. It should go without saying, but please make sure all stories submitted are an original work. Please do not submit anything that has already been professionally published.
Collaborations are permitted provided all collaborators meet the entry qualifications — no adults, and no writers from outside the New England area. In the event of a collaboration winning, all prizes will be split as evenly as possible among the winners.